Monday, November 2, 2009

November Girl




I haven't painted a girl in so long I must say she didn't really want to come forth at first. She didn't like her mouth so I have to gesso over the mouth and start again. That took a while. I have been doing Monica Zuniga's face drawing class. We are drawing with pencil so translating all those shadows into paints is another animal altogether. I have such trouble with blending acrylic on faces so I did an unspeakable thing...shhhhh..I combined acrylics with Shiva paint sticks and I am afraid some acrylic got on top of where I had blended with the Shivas especially around the hair line. Don't tell anyone, ok? I actually think the Shivas blend the face the best--at least for me at this point. I use my finger and blend and if it isn't the right color just blend again with a better color. The background is a gone wrong background---that's why she is in the corner covering up an ugly area.

Do any of you watch Dancing with the Stars? Does she look a little bit like Cheryl Burke to you? Well, maybe...

On the second image I applied some edges from my Graphic edges program that I paid an arm and leg for but hardly ever use---arggg...so there, I used it!!! Looks pretty good!

14 comments:

Beverly Ash Gilbert said...

I think she is beautiful and your background stunning!!! I love her hair blowing in the November wind.

Sandi said...

Martha, I love how you positioned her in the lower left with the light and graffiti in the background, your colors are wonderful and great job on the face. Hugs

Teresa aka Tess said...

O MArtha, You are your own worse critic. She is lovely and the background colors are wonderful.

Luscious Layers said...

Yes, she does look a little like Cheryl! Looks as if you have been keeping very busy Martha. Thought you may be interested in popping over to see my new etsy and giveaway on the blog!

Fotf said...

I love her face, i guess traditionally i like things balanced so tend to go for the middle but sometimes less traditional can work well too especially if it means the background works for you rather than against :)

Mary said...

Oh my gosh!!! Everything about this is gorgeous!! She is beautiful, and you did a great job blending the skin. I love how you said, "she was unhappy with her mouth" :) Tell her to be happy with how her creator created her - she is beautiful! :)

Hugs Marthy!!!

Cheryl Gebhart said...

She's gorgeous! I don't watch the tv show, but I clicked the link and yes, she does look like Cheryl Burke. And I don't know what would be wrong with combining Shiva and acrylics - it's mixed media, right?

tami said...

She is absolutely lovely - your girls always make me smile. They have presence. And your background was gorgeous.

Kelly Warren said...

she's gorgeous Martha. And I love how she's peeking out of the corner.

Art by Darla Kay said...

She's beautiful!!! I think everything fell into place perfectly on this piece!! Great job!

lori vliegen said...

i think she's gorgeous.....and your shiva secret is safe with me!! :)))

Beedeebabee said...

Hi Martha! I think she's beautiful!!! I see some Cheryl Burke too. (I think it's those pretty lips.) I love how you painted her blowing hair! Hugs, =D

Å olanje na domu-Waldorf said...

Wow Marta! She is magnificent and the background is awesome.

Anonymous said...

Martha,
She is just wonderful! I love her..
You did a wonderful job.. and remember in real ART there are NO RULES!
IF YOU FOUND SOME, don't follow them, follow your heart. Monica is one of the best I have ever seen..
You go girl..
hugs, Darlene..
I will be joining your classes soon.

linkwithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin