Sunday, February 20, 2011

Thy Word


I must admit that this is what it's all about for me. Yes, I am talking about the Scripture also but in this art journey I crave those times when the moon and stars align and a piece comes together with no layout planning or stressing in about 20 minutes time. The background was one of those "hang arounds" that I just didn't quite like but hated to cut up or even worse... chunk it. It was acrylic so I didn't even know if I could even letter on it with a nib ---and I didn't practice the Foundational letterforms before I wrote it so it was certainly a fly by the seat of my pants. It's not the most beautiful piece I have ever done but for today, it did the trick.  Hence my calligraphic training, the goal of most any background piece I create whether collage, spraying with stencils, watercolor or whatever, is about where the letters might go. If it all comes together then it is a high for me--maybe even like a euphoric high from a drug or something. It will usually last for a day or so and then it wears off and I am off to find that "pusher" muse that can help me get my next fix.
Yes. I will admit, I am Martha Lever and I am an art-oholic.

13 comments:

Mechelle said...

Martha what a beautiful piece that you created! It is inspiring and uplifting. The imagery really brings the scripture to life.
God bless!

Nancy said...

It is beautiful.. those colors in the background seem lit from within, deep and rich. Art-a-holic... not such a bad thing to be I'm thinking!

Kathryn Zbrzezny said...

In this craqzy world of ours, can there possibly be a better Holic to be than an art-o-holic??!! I am thankful for you and your art and that you share it. It's funny, but I use those exact same words at special times: "the stars and moons aligned". And you are so right, Martha, this piece is Perfect! I LOVE it. Love it. Thank you, and happy peace-filled Sunday.

Unknown said...

Wow! I love it. The colors are so yummy! There is so much joy to be found when your in the sweet spot God intended jusy for you. YOur art is such a blessing.
Many Blessings, Deborah
Stop By www.artnsoulbydeborah.com
I just blogged about the "Sweet Spot" I think you'll enjoy it.

Monica said...

It's absolutely perfect in every way!

Cynthia Schelzig said...

What a piece!! Simply wonderful!

Mary said...

okay, i so love this piece. yep, this is what it's all about!!

jgr said...

Martha, this is great! Please keep on being an art-a-holic. I love the inspiration you bring to us all.

MB Shaw said...

This is simply exquisite. Such a perfect scripture and I love every single thing about this art from the color to composition to.....well, all of it!!

Paula Phillips said...

Absolutely gorgeous!! So inspiring, thanks so much for sharing!
Much love

ArtfulLee Designed said...

Beautiful page, love the colours and the texture. Inspiring message too Martha, thanks
Lee:)

Jane Farr said...

Wonderful lettering Martha!

Charis Designs said...

Just found you via Pinterest. You have me intrigued- what are the words written in the background? LOVE your paintings!

linkwithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin