Sunday, August 16, 2009

Watercolor Photo Painting





I have taken several pictures of things from the studio and plan to turn them into line drawings to paint some simple watercolors from the photographs. I printed these two line drawings on Arches 140 LB paper. It's fun and quick. My goal was actually to paint them more whimsical-like such as Kelli Nina Perkins does (she has a great DVD). But they always end up with fairly realistic colors.  Maybe I will paint them again with bright and outrageous colors and see what happens.  I just love the yummy colors she uses. It takes courage to use those bright colors and I must try and see if I can overcome my fear!!!  Just do it!

6 comments:

sherry carrigan said...

These look so fun Martha. I must try this. I used foot #20 for the applique. It is an open toed applique foot. Great because there is no connect bar between the feet, so there is clear visibility making it east to follow the edges of the piece you are stitching down. I also use a blanket stitch. Can't remember which stitch number that is on your machine. You could always use a small zig zag stitch.

Cheryl Gebhart said...

Maybe not exactly the look you were going for, but these are beautiful! I have her DVD too - haven't watched it all the way through yet - I'll be watching to see if you do any more of these in her style.

lori vliegen said...

i quite like the way you've painted these....it makes them yours! and, it looks like we're going to have to add fabric dying to our list of things to do next time we get together! your scarves are fabulous!! :)

Teresa aka Tess said...

Wow, You are right. Her bright colors are fantastic. I love your watercolor paintings just the way you did them though. I can see your special touch in them. Ok, So a purpley red apple or a pitcher of many colors would be awesome. Maybe. Just have fun, you know how to do it.

Å olanje na domu-Waldorf said...

These look awesome! I'll have to give this technique a try.

Gina Lee Kim said...

These are great Martha. Wow. You're insatiably creative! (loved the scarf you created on a previous post). GREAT NEWS: I just ordered my Kelli Perkin's stichery video finally! :) ~g

linkwithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin