Monday, August 24, 2009

Just practicing...

I do know that to be a good teacher of calligraphy I need to be practiced up before I start. It has been interesting for me because my Italic "go to" calligraphy that I use most frequently is a variation so I have had to hunker down and practice the classic Italic shape all over again.  I haven't started filming any classes yet but I think I am getting there. My goal is to teach people the correct letterform and to try to guide them into learning these letterforms with patience, determination and with a critical eye for holding on to always keeping the integrity of the Italic letterform. In other words, learn the rules first---then make it your own.

6 comments:

Teresa aka Tess said...

Your practices are beautiful and would make great backgrounds for paintings.

Cristi Baxter Clothier said...

Ooh Martha! I see my favorite scripture in those practice sheets! These are wonderful.

mzjohansen said...

Oh Yeah! I can't wait for your new class. I am thoroughly enjoying "Calligrafun"!

Mary said...

Martha your lettering is so beautiful, it really is a work of art.

I bet you are enjoying having your son home too!! Isn't it something to see our little boys all grown up!

Gina Lee Kim said...

You have my utmost respect as a teacher!

Jane Farr said...

Wonderful practice page Martha. Your students will love learning italic!

linkwithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin