Saturday, August 1, 2009

Acrylic on Watercolor Wash


I love to disperse colorwashes on watercolor paper--I guess you could say it calls to me---"Martha, Martha, come disperse us---we're waiting for you!"... and I have to jump up at that moment and go disperse!!  Yes, my paints call to me and talk to me. Sometimes they say, "no, no don't put us here in the mud--we don't want to get dirty," and sometimes they say, "ahhhh...that's better..."
I could never be lonely--if I have my paints--and I always encourage people to start to paint even if it is just putting some color on paper--it doesn't have t0 be anything--just color...any color. It's therapeutic.

I had dispersed some watercolors on paper last night and decided to try some acrylic "dry-ish" brush and see what happened. I probably should have added mat medium first so the paint would go on better. Actually the second image of the Tulips is not dry brush only the first image. I like the top one better. The orange and the pink don't go that well together but all in all it was fun and I do like the combination of soft watercolors in the background and harder images in the front.  

Calligra-FUN--student update!  Check out Debbie Goering. Scroll on down and you will see some great practice pages.
Great job, Debbie!  All my students are doing so well and having fun and... oh, how happy that makes me!!

4 comments:

Kelly Warren said...

those are both beautiful martha. :-)

Sojourner Design said...

I like.

I'm wondering how you ended up with the small unpainted dots, even in areas painted with acrylics.

Martha, is your online calligraphy class something that is offered regularly?

Diane

Mary said...

These are so pretty, I really like the watercolor washes. It has been awhile since I have used watercolors, I need to pull them out and do some, yes I think I do.

Oh Martha, our pastor today spoke on finishing well. 2 Timothy 4:7 "I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith. Thought it interesting on the heels of your book. Don't you just love when God does that! I think I must do a post on that.

Hugs!

Debbie / Prairie Emporium said...

I love your watercolor pictures and the colors look lovely together.
Martha, I did a post on my blog about Callligrafun and added pictures of my practice. I am having fun!! Thank You.

linkwithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin