Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Daily Painting number 80ish

Sometimes when I think something will be easy to paint it's not. But I am working on my 120 paintings. I have about 80 so far. And remember the thing was that you have to paint 120 bad paintings before you are a really good painter.  So that actually takes a lot longer than just 120 paintings because not all of them turn out bad. But believe me I have my share of bad ones. On this one the table legs gave me a fit with shadows going everywhere and lights and darks on the skinny legs and only a very thin line to paint them.  This is only an 8x8 so if it had been larger then I could have maybe had more room the shape up the legs. Good excuse anyway!  I believe that a cup of coffee is put on the table it might just topple over.

Sometimes my bad paintings are bad because the composition or photo I started with was not that good of a composition (not a good notan to begin with)--- so that will never make a good painting and you are pretty much dead in the water from the get-go.  Sometimes it a drawing issue and sometimes it's a value and color issue. If I can get all these right in the same painting it will be a good painting!

But with each painting I am learning. I have another workshop coming up December 1-3 with Alice Williams.  Her style is really loose!  I am looking forward to that.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I really like this...I really do! If the table topples, I'd still be happy to sit there and hold my cup :)

Ellecee2010 at gmail dot com

Monica said...

I agree your painting is great!

Claire M said...

You might not be happy with this painting, but I really like it. It really has a charm to it.

Gifts of Creation said...

Wow Martha! When I first started following you, You were a GREAT and a AMAZING artist and how you are continually growing and developing into into an incredibly superb master painter is just so inpiring to watch.

linkwithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin