Thursday, May 17, 2012

More painting journey

I am still trying to paint everyday. That is the only way to learn to paint (in my opinion). If you just paint occasionally then the longer the time span in between the paintings the more you lose traction. I am trying to paint with the palette knife. This was just a quickie one with some Palm trees. It's an 8x8 on a panel. I am trying to use all of my panels I have bought in the past.

 And by the way, I had a difficult experience in the palette knife painting class on Saturday. The still life I chose was extremely difficult with a tarnished silver pitcher, white flowers and some pears (and reflections of the pears in the tarnished silver pot.) I actually didn't realize it was going to be that hard when I chose it and I don't produce very easily in a workshop setting. The teacher is a very good painter and I like her style but her process is very different from mine so I struggled with doing it her way. I think I am a little bit of a rebel and certainly need to try harder to adhere to instruction that is different from my way of doing it so as to learn.

So since this is a blog diary of my art journey I thought I would go ahead and post it. This one is a 16 x 20. It's not a bad painting it's just that it represents 4 hours of extreme frustration, stress and anxiety. This one was definitely the "agony" part of the "Agony and the Ecstasy" of painting. (Again, no comparison of my painting with Michangelo's!) But I do know that all artists' struggles are similar. Sometimes I wonder why I do it. There is just something in me that keeps pushing me forward. I think it all started in 4th grade math class but I won't go there..(it ain't a pretty story.)



8 comments:

teri said...

I appreciate that you discuss your challenges along with triumphs. Too often, bloggers only show their successes, and for those of us who are learners, it can be discouraging when we can't produce those results. Thank you.

Peggy said...

You make me laugh! 4th grade math as the beginning of your art journey... It's true. There are so many similarities in each of our very different experiences. Trying to paint a little every day while working full time is such a challenge, but it seems to be getting easier as time goes on. Even frustration is a learning experience.

katie purcell said...

THANK YOU MARTHA FOR BEING REAL AND TELLING US ABOUT YOUR FRUSTRATIONS IN PAINTING. IT MAY FRUSTRATE YOU BUT IT ENCOURAGES ME TO KNOW A GREAT ARTIST LIKE YOU HAS DOUBTS AND STRUGGLES TOO.

I LOVE THE PAINTING YOU HAD SUCH A HARD TIME WITH.

BOB IS MAKING A STUDIO IN THE ATTIC FOR ME....WILL NOT BE FINISHED FOR QUITE A WHILE, BUT I TOO WILL THEN HAVE A PLACE TO CREATE WITHOUT HAVING TO PUT EVERYTHING BACK UP EVERYTIME I FEEL CREATIVE....AND YOU REMINDED ME IT NEEDS TO BE EVERYDAY!!!

XXOO

Sandi said...

great strokes with that palette knife and I love the pitcher with flowers, hugs

jgr said...

Well, struggles or not, it's a lovely painting. I think my favorite thing is the delicate color palette in contrast to the bold strokes of paint. Also I agree with you about painting every day-it's important to gain momentum-at least for me. Thank you for sharing your ups and downs with us.

fran pascazio said...

I agree with some of the above comments...what makes you stand out as an artist, in my opinion, is the fact you do tell of your struggles...not everything is easy! thank you for being real....wi that said I would love to add that this is an amazing painting and knowing it was done without a brush is more amazing to me! I have a problem in a workshop as well...I create better on my own but love to take workshops!

Sandy Guderyon said...

Thank you, thank you for sincerely and honestly sharing your struggles and successes with us. It makes me feel that I can do it, too! I am taking your Pear-Ology class now and I want you to know that I had no idea I could paint such a beautiful pear! It looks good enough to eat! Martha, you make a difference for us!

Terrie said...

I appreciate your honesty and all the sharing you do. I love your florals and this palette knife one is no different. I actually like that there aren't a lot of details but there's lots of texture. I love that you keep trying!

linkwithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin