Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Do not adjust your sets...

Oh that's right you are on a computer...
 I have been very very delinquent on a workshop from one of my favorite watercolor artists, Michelle Brown, where she teaches how to paint faces with watercolor. Of course it's not just watercolor, it's her way of flooding in the color and blotting out the light areas.  I just love the effect she gets. So today my guilt got the best of me and I attempted to paint a face. She had us do a blue face first. It wasn't as scary as I thought it would be but you have to know (or pretend) where the light source is and where the lights and shadows are on the face. I had to make it up with her but I will try it again using a model from a magazine that Michelle provided so I can do it like Michelle says to do it. She was printed on Arches Text Wove paper (love this paper!).

12 comments:

Vickie said...

Martha,

Love your artwork and your positive attitude!

Bren Graham Thebeau said...

You did a wonderful job with the shadow and light falling on her. very interesting technique looking forward to seeing more

Buffy said...

Oh I love her! She's so cool looking. Going to check out the class now. Thanks for sharing!

Teresa aka Tess said...

Oh, I think you did a wonderful job. She is so pretty and reminds me of Mary Poppins.

Mary said...

Martha this is so cool, love the blue lady...she looks fabulous!!

Kelly said...

I love your blue lady Martha! It really looks like you have truly captured the light on her face - well done!
Thanks for sharing on blogland and inspiring so many!

Hugs and many blessings
Kelly

Anonymous said...

Oh BLISS!

I love this...and what a fantastic idea...to paint a monochrome face! what a stunning blue!

you've inspired me to clean up my sewing table and pull out my paints! thanks again....

ciao bella

Creative Carmelina

BonnieBanters said...

I really love this...and very interesting technique!

jgr said...

Oh she's beautiful! I love the technique too.

Lesley Edmonds said...

I love the blue and you've caught the light just right.
Lesley

A'n'G Johnson said...

oooo I love her in the bright blue!

Anonymous said...

Martha,
Love your artwork.. so much to catch up on.. you always have so many interesting and beautiful creations.. ! hugs ♥

linkwithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin