Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Rainbow Row

I took this picture of Rainbow row in Charleston several years ago. I love Charleston and lived there with some college friends the summer after my freshman year. We all went to the Citadel to take our language requirement. Yes, you read that right, it was the Citadel. Needless to say we were the minority in our class and the cadets acted like they had never even seen a girl before. It was extremely fun!

Anyway, back to Rainbow Row. Rainbow row is actually not very bright at all, at least not from my picture. I do love it though and always wished I could live there one day.
I created a line drawing in Photoshop and printed it on watercolor paper from my Epson printer (it doesn't smear) and started flooding in some bright Dr. Ph. Martins Radiant Watercolors. I wanted it bright and exaggerated. Looks like I got--bright and exaggerated! It was a fun little experiment.







9 comments:

bluegiraffe (Sherry) said...

This is gorgeous, Martha! Can you share with us what kind of Epson printer you use? Thanks!

Anonymous said...

I really like this Martha! Nicely done and so happy looking! TFS

Lisa Graham said...

Love this Martha and I loved getting caught up on your other posts too. Charleston is a fabulous place. We were there very briefly on a trip to Savannah and then the Smoky Mts.

I like what you said about covering journals with art. That is a good idea!

mauihumv@gmail.com said...

Love this!!

katie purcell said...

love, LOVE, LOVE THIS.
MAYBE A CLASS TO SHOW US HOW???
A NICE BREAK FROM YOUR OIL AND BACK TO WATERCOLOR!!!
THIS WOULD MAKE A GREAT CARD.
XO

Marie aka Grams said...

This is a lovely departure for you. It is delightful, and you just keep bringing joy to us out here in blogland.

fran pascazio said...

Beautiful Martha! I, too, love Charleston and have visited Rainbow Road many times as I have family in Summerville, SC which is 20 mins. outside of Charleston. Funny, my nephew is a graduate of the Citadel - I'm sure your class there was much fun - all the odds were in your favor! Your interpretation of Rainbow Road is stunning - as you know, I love your watercolors! Have a peaceful weekend....

Linda Jordan said...

This is gorgeous! I love the idea, I need to try this!!

Kat said...

This painting is lovely, Martha, and a little departure from what you've shown us before. Love it!

Kathy (proud owner of one of your little floral paintings in Seattle)

linkwithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin