Friday, October 1, 2010

In the studio today...

I have been doing a couple of things today. I made some backgrounds for a journal that I am thinking about putting together and also I am playing around with some abstract watercolor. I was mainly trying this Stonehenge paper that is good for the background techniques but I don't like it for the watercolor. I am trying to make random marks on the paper (this is hard for me for some reason) then lay down some watercolor. The "listen to the whisper.." one has pleasing colors but the quote and style of letterforms do not go with the bold marks and the colors. I don't really know why I wrote that one but I just grabbed the calligraphy marker and wrote something. Sometimes I really just need to slow down, take a breath and think for a minute. As a calligrapher, the best layout is one where the quote and letterforms have the same feel as the background. But, it's all about trying and learning from our less fortunate choices.

12 comments:

Kelly said...

These are gorgeous backgrounds Martha! So beautiful!

chel said...

These are SO beautiful!! Do you use bubble wrap to get the circle patterns? It's all so lovely!

jgr said...

Oh Martha, forgive me if I'm just a 'broken record'
these are gorgeous--I just love your work!

Createology said...

Not knowing the "rules" I think these are just beautiful.
Happy creating...

HeARTworks said...

Super!

Kathryn Zbrzezny said...

I just love when you experiment, and I LOVE your backgrounds! (I also have to tell you how much I am enjoying the journal you made, Martha. ooooh, it makes me so happy to play in it!)

Karen Kay said...

Beautiful backgrounds Martha.

Buffy said...

Beautiful Martha,love all the backgrounds too.

GlorV1 said...

That is great work. I love the backgrounds. Thx for sharing. Have a great weekend.

Cynthia Schelzig said...

These look fabulous!!! I just found your blog and love it! What color,,,what calligraphy...inspiring indeed!

Bren Graham Thebeau said...

you have been busy, no wonder you're second guessing yourself with everything. Funny I thought the lettering seemed as bold as the colours, sitting upon the page front and centre. Whereas the 'dreams' page's lettering was quiet, not taking prominence on the page, subtle.
LOve the colours and texturing.

Jane Farr said...

I love these backgrounds Martha!!

linkwithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin