Friday, August 13, 2010

The Mighty Michael Sull


Michael Sull,
Master Penman
and teacher extraordinaire.

Well now, seriously folks.... is he not just the cutest little guy in the whole wide world?? His bow tie is the Palmer Alphabet that we learned as a child and we all fondly recognize and earlier today he had on a matching vest. He is soft spoken and shy and truly a gentle-man. I was expecting furrowed brows on growling men with rulers to whack our hands as we wrecked havoc upon our paper with our pointed pens. I really feel like I have traveled to Calligraphy Utopia where the letterforms are perfect and powerful and magical and the teachers' temperaments are mild and generous. We had a demo by Jake Weidmann, a young, muscular and very handsome guy who did off- hand flourishes so beautifully that I couldn't even believe my eyes. Amazing. Absolutely amazing. I am completely awed by these wonderful masters.
Ok, I can't do it quite like Victoria did when she wrote my name but I'll get there hopefully. I have two more classes. One is actually Italic and the other is Gwen Weaver's funky looking pointed pen lettering. Then I am leaving at 3:00 so I can be back home to my wonderful hubby to celebrate our 34th anniversary. What a wonderful end to a wonderful week!
Oh, and that wooden pen holder...Michael Sull makes those by hand and they are so so beautiful, all made with different woods and designs. This one is Koa Wood from Hawaii. I am sure I will be able to write just like him using this pen holder---I'm sure of it...:))

12 comments:

Kathryn Zbrzezny said...

You Rock! {♥Happy Anniversary!♥}

Marie aka Grams said...

Martha, your many exemplars are beautiful. You are soooo lucky to be there. And your photo is beautiful as well. Happy Anniversary (we always sing it to the tune of The Lone Ranger)

Buffy said...

Yes,yes the pen will make you write just like him,glad you bought it.Thats what I say when I buy something,its makes me feel less guilty for buying it. Glad you had such a great time and met some wonderful people. Happy anniversary. Enjoy your day with your hubby.

Diane said...

Martha, this is so much fun!!
P.S. Happy Anniversary!

Bren Graham Thebeau said...

It's been fun to hear about the conference as it was happening. Love that hand made pen, I fell in love with fountain pens and calligraphy pens many years ago, just never learned how to create such beautiful lettering.
And a very happy Anniversary to you and your man!

Mary said...

I love his round red glasses!!
But I have to tell you Marthy, you are looking pretty good standing beside him!! You are adorable!!!!

Happy Anniversary!!

My next will be 34th!! :)

Sandi said...

Martha-that pen is beautiful, what a joy to work with truly talented ones. Enjoy and Happy Anniversary. Hugs

Debbie Eckmier said...

Happy Anniversary Martha!

I read your blog every day - it's the first one on my list :-)
Thanks for being such an inspiration!

Nancy said...

Martha, You smile says it all...you radiate happiness...

Happy Anniversary...

Hugs

LeeAnn@Encouragement Is Contagious said...

Happy anniversary to you and your hubby Martha! I love the picture! He indeed looks like a gentle and sweet man with some really good style in dress! You Martha, look so beautiful here. One day I hope I learn to do handwriting/calligraphy as beautiful as yours.

Patti G. said...

Martha and hubby, HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!
I think that YOU are just the cutest little thing, and he is ok too! :0)
Your pen holder looks cool, let your talent flow through it! Wheeeeee!
Hugs,Patti

Jane Farr said...

Happy Anniversary to you and your husband!!! :)
Love your picture with Michael. He is a gentle spirit. He has a real passion for teaching and lighting a lettering fire in others. Jake will be a Master Penman in no time! His work is exceptional. Thanks for sharing your experience at IAMPETH Martha. I've really enjoyed reading your posts!!! :)

linkwithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin