Monday, August 2, 2010

KISS

There is a KISS that is running around in my head today and it's this...
KEEP IT SIMPLE STUPID.
When I was organizing some "stuff" today I came across these flowers that I painted a while back and I remember not liking them for some reason. Today, it makes me happy. I think that it is because they are so simple and ...well--just something I needed to see today. I love all kinds of art adventures but sometimes it's good to just go back and be simple. I love throwing paint around (a la Pat Dews) and putting on textures but in doing that I have to relinquish control and be willing to possible create something really ugly. I am struggling a bit with that. I created a background with textures (actually I have created several--a la Pat Dews) and let it dry over night and it looked like a dead bug. I turned it upside down--it was a dead bug on it's back--- vertical---even scarier. It was an ugly demon like looking bug. So that is why this made me happy today. I don't like dead bugs. I should post it but I already tore it up into pieces. I have a few little pieces that I will put into my journal that looked ok---so I will post a few of those this week.
PS--Pat Dews is wonderful. I would like to be her--in a very abstract way, of course!

8 comments:

Bren Graham Thebeau said...

You got to be willing to kill the bugs to preserve the flowers :-) Know how you feel though, with every experiment comes a whole new set of challenges ready to weigh you down. And hey, Pat did say to crop when you don't like :-)

Janie Husband said...

i love the flowers that you do, martha... i am doing some simple greeting cards for a friend and and i can see this on one of them...beautiful....

DJ said...

Hmmmm...now you have me wondering if I have any art lying around that looks like dead bugs! :-) I'd better get to tearing up stuff myself...

Your flowers are gorgeous.
Like my mother used to say,
"Simplicity is elegance."

Mary said...

I've been trying to see these for hours!! :) I could see them on my sidebar, but when I clicked on them the page was not available.

I love your flowers! And your comment about dead bugs cracks me up

I like Bren's comment too!!! I am really drawn to abstract paintings, and would love to do some, but I have a feeling it means creating quite a few dead bug paintings before getting one bug free!!!

I am not feeling great about what I am producing now, so I am kind of reluctant to begin!!! But if I don't begin how will I ever learn.

Hugs not bugs!!! :)

Becca said...

I love these flowers Martha!

Sandi said...

Martha, they are simply wonderful, hugs

lori vliegen said...

your flowers are fabulous.....as well as very simple, very sweet, and very bug-free!!! maybe it's time to keep a can of raid amongst your spray paints for the next time those creepy crawlies try to interfere with your art sessions!! heehee

and i'm always amazed at how we're on the same wave-length.....i posted today about creating from the heart, and i just now saw your post about it!! xox, :))

elena nuez said...

so beautiful!!!

linkwithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin