Thursday, August 26, 2010

Fall colors are in the air




 I think this piece was just one of those paintings that I just keep fiddling with and fiddling with determined that I would win the battle this time. With this one I kept hearing Tim Gunn's voice saying, "make it work...!" Do you ever feel that sometimes you are battling with your art? I know we are suppose to enjoy the process and whistle while we work (and I surely do that lots of the time!) but that is not always the case with my art. Have you ever heard of or even read the War of Art?  I didn't have a copy myself since my son lent it to me but I just ordered a copy for myself and it arrived yesterday. I am going to read it again.  I felt like the author hit the nail on the head--a least for me. He talks of the resistance that we frequently experience in our art journeys. With all the art I create you would think that I have no resistance... but I do.
This is a collaged napkin around the girl. I purposely did not put the border all the way around. I didn't want to box her in too much. I had drawn her in my little journal and I scanned and printed her on Strathmore 400 series watercolor paper. I like this paper--it takes acrylic nicely as well as watercolor and collage. 

14 comments:

Bren Graham Thebeau said...

A battle well fought! She is spectacular. The colours and intricacy surrounding her is wonderful, a world of her own, in fact she can represent our battles with art, because she is definitely a winner!
Although I've not been at this long, I've run into a few of those pieces that was a battle royal to 'finish', I blogged about the experience as well :-) Thanks for the heads up on the book.

Carin Winkelman said...

I love the girl, but I hardly dare say it (always worried to offend) I think it would look better with no border at all. I tried looking at it like that by making the viewing window on my monitor smaller and I really loved the work then. Your girls are so lovely.

I so know the feeling of battling your art every now and then. I had the same thing with a little mixed media piece of a cat I made a while ago. I got nice responses on it, but I still remember how I struggled with it and it's still not to my liking, no matter what anyone says,haha. In the end it's impossible to look at our own art objectively I think.

cve said...

so fantastic colors!
невероятная феерия!

Janie Husband said...

i think we all fight that battle , martha......i am now...some days i don't even go into my studio....you did a great job with color on this piece.... ;)

Nancy said...

Martha, all I can say is that it's obvious that out of stuggle comes perfection....I love this painting...all of it....It's definitely a winner......

A'n'G Johnson said...

this is gorgeous. I love all the different techniques. you definitely made it work!

Odd Chick said...

I have visited your blog before awhile back, but Bren sent me over here because she said we were having the same issue and LOL- were we ever. I'm loving the book and I'm learning about the struggle and overcomming the resisitance factor. Your art is stunning and I love the fall colors and all the different textures.

Kelly said...

She is gorgeous and you came out victorious in your battle! Congratulations! Beautiful!

Inner Expressions said...

WOW!! I love the colors and what you have done half frame and all. I struggle with overworking my art. I stop short because I am so afraid of screwing up. That is something I will have to overcome. Hope you don't mind me visiting your blog, Bren had your name on her blog talking about your struggles. hope my struggles turn out that way. Blessings Patricia

elena nuez said...

Martha I like everything you do, you're great!

Anna Rosa Designs said...

Hi Martha,
This piece of art has turned out fantastic. You won the battle!
Ah, now how you feel about battles with art.
I seem to have lost my mojo at the moment.
Happy creating,
Hugs,
Anna

Kathryn Zbrzezny said...

The fall colors and doodles and flowers all around her are just beautiful!

Elena said...

I love the book War of Art; felt as if the author was speaking to me directly. Great girl!

Diane said...

I hate when that happens, but I guess this is how we learn--to work through it. See how your's resulted after playing around--beautiful! The book sounds interesting--I think I see a purchase in my future :)

linkwithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin