Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Day One at IAMPATH

I am all settled in with my 100lbs of unneeded suplies plus more that I had to buy I coudn't live without but having a great time. Today was really good. I took Old English and Sickels Alphabet. I was going to show you some of the Old English but Old English in the early morning ain't a pretty site. I did better this afternoon with Mike Sull with this fun Sickels Alphabet. This is a form of drawn letterforms that can be seen on old certificates and documents. They are fun to draw. The classes are only 31/2 hours long which seems like a long time but to go through a whole alphabet plus capitals--the time goes by really fast. I couldn't keep up this morning. But I think I was half asleep anyway. I have the exemplars so I can figure it out. We have lots of demonstrations tonight. These IAMPETH charter members are very illustrious and
very nice people. I met one of the official calligraphers for the White House last night and he says he sees them all everyday, Obama, Michelle, the girls...the whole crew. More tomorrow if possible.

11 comments:

lori vliegen said...

oh my goodness.....i'm drooling so much over these letterforms, i'm running the risk of short-circuiting my keyboard!!! aaaack!!! i can't stand it that i'm not there shopping.....ooops.....i mean lettering with you!!!! xoxox, :))

Gifts of Creation said...

I'm so glad you are having such a great time and that you are sharing it with us! How awesome that you met one of the whitehouse calligraphers!!!! My friend at church has an artist son who works for the Bureau of Engraving and is one of only 4 designers who create designs for US coins and currency!!!

Nancy said...

It's so exciting to be part of your class....thanks for sharing with us.....I just know you are in
calligraphy heaven....The letters are beautiful..

Diane said...

Martha, these are gorgeous--you must be in heaven!

Jane Farr said...

Yum, yum, YUM!! Thanks for sharing Martha! Enjoy the whirlwind of IAMPETH!

Buffy said...

I love the look of the this letterform,I'm glad you're having fun. LOL about your supplies,when I went away last week,I bought a small suitcase of supplies,I'm just as bad.

Kathryn Zbrzezny said...

This is fascinating. I love that you showed this whole alphabet and all of the other notes and samples. wow. And, the thought of suitcases full of supplies and shopping, sounds like SO much fun!

Kelly said...

I LOVE this entire alphabet! It's very, techno!

Jancalligrapher said...

Hi, Martha, have so much fun at your conference. Look up my friend, Linda Schneider, she teaches, copperplate figures. Thanks for sharing

Createology said...

How exciting to be immersed in your art and also getting up to date reviews. Happy calligraphying...

Kim Shenberger said...

Beautiful work, Martha, as always.

linkwithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin