Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Looking up to my sister, Jane


I have come to the end of this little journal. I think there is maybe one page spread left. I have been thinking about my beautiful sister, Jane, who died at a very early age with Alzheimer's 4 years ago this January. She was 8 years older. I was always looking at her and watching her as she put on her adorable matching Villager outfits to go to high school, as she was putting on her white wool cheerleading uniform with the big WP letters on the sweater... and as she grabbed her pom poms and skipped off to the football games. I watched as she teased her hair for the prom, and I watched as Mama zipped up the tight bodice of the most beautiful pale aqua huge lacy prom dress, the zipper breaking and Mama whipping out needle and thread, sewing the dress up right on her back without a blink of the eye. All this as her date was waiting for her in the living room. I always ran and opened the front door when her dates came to pick her up (that was back in the day that they came and sat and waited in the living room with our Daddy.) She was a wonderful sister and I think that who I am today was shaped by her beauty, her humor and her style. I miss her terribly. It's ok though, she has a mind and body now that is healed, whole and new. Don't be sad. I'm sorry if I made you sad.

14 comments:

Unknown said...

You didn't make me sad. That was a wonderful tribute to your sister!

I'm missing my Mom who passed in Oct. due to complications from ovarian cancer.

Writing and drawing about them is a good way to connect with them isn't it?

Your artwork is beautiful and you inspire me.

Merry Christmas to you,
~Lanie

jgr said...

I started to be sad, but it was cancelled by your good memories, they are very uplifting. I agree with Lanie: Writing, drawing, sharing is a good way to heal and connect.

-Jane

Teresa aka Tess said...

Oh MArtha, you have such lovely memories of your sister. And it is wonderful that you are sharing her with the world in this way. Love the journal page you created and thanks for sharing Jane's memory with us. My grandmother lived with Alzheimer's for 10 years before her passing. I wonder if they know each other in heaven! Nice thought!

Gina Lee Kim said...

What a very special way to remember your sister. I lost my mother at a young age and it is powerful to express our love & memories through art.

Sandi said...

Martha, wonderful last page and thanks for sharing such a beautiful tribute to your sister, it is wonderful. I have a new technique for the airbrush up you might want to take a peek, so much fun. Hugs

Mary said...

What wonderful memories you have of your beloved sister Marthy!! I am glad they are so. And yes, she is whole, healed and having a blast!!

Love the journal spread, and do I spy lavender????? It's growing on me I think!! :)

Hugs!!

Julie Bagamary said...

What a blessing to remember your sister with joy and healing and not bitterness that she is gone. You are a great example to many as well. Thanks.

Createology said...

What a wonderful relationship you and your sister shared. How beautifully you described your feelings for her and how much you miss her. Sisters are always very special and we treasure them. Thank you for openly sharing your memories and your journal.

Anonymous said...

Such a beautiful journal page of you and your sister. I believe to she has a beautiful healthy body now. Bless you and your family so much!

Blessings!

Julie

Nicola said...

This is such a lovely tribute to your sister and the things that you fondly remember. I found it a very uplifting post. I lost my Nan to Alzheimers as well as a family friend who was also very young. I have lots of fond memories of my Nan and I've drawn her many times myself, it's a really nice way to feel connected I think. Lovely work!!

Sue K said...

Thanks for sharing this with us Martha! There are a lot of people out there that think of our loved ones lost during the holidays. As you said, they are in a better place now.
Lovely tribute to her!

Beedeebabee said...

That was a very touching post, Martha. It's so sad when we lose someone we love with all our heart. Life changing. Sending you a big hug, Paulette

Carol said...

Martha, as always, your work is beautiful and I find YOU such an inspiration. Your blog is in my 'favorites.' Thank you for always taking the time to post something beautiful. And those VILLAGER outfits? A-ha!!! I wore them too. Gosh, you brought back memories. Merry Christmas and enjoy the family. Carol

Jane Farr said...

A beautiful entry in your journal Martha. The text of your post would be nice tucked into these pages, because you share such great memories. Love the lavender!! :-)

linkwithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin