Wednesday, November 19, 2008

She Loves Poppies



This one was very hard to paint. I painted her face in oils and it was such a struggle. I admit I had to smooth her out a bit (ok, a lot) in Photoshop. I do like oils although I sure don't have the hang of it yet. I will try some more portraits in oil ---maybe--- after I unwind from this one. The Poppies are in acrylic as well as her green dress. The background is collaged and she is painted on an 8x10 x2 panel board that I bought from Hobby Lobby on half price and collaged over the image on the front.

9 comments:

sherry carrigan said...

She's wonderful Martha. I haven't used oils in 20 years, so like you, I would struggle since I've forgotten all I know about them. Great job!

Gifts of Creation said...

Hi Martha!!
I love the girls with the poppies.
I love that you post a new painting everyday. I am aiming to get one done and posted at least weekly now!!!!
I was thinking about learning your background mixed media technique and doing some with just flowers, birds or fruit. They look like so much fun!!! I would of course have to use computer fonts.

Gifts of Creation said...

oops, I meant to say "girl". Also, I was thinking, I could use a copy of my grandmother's handwriting from an old letter I have just for interest in the background, right?

Teresa aka Tess said...

MArtha, She is very pretty and it is hard to believe you had trouble with her. I love her cheeks and the background is very interesting. It draws me into the picture. You collaged over something? Neat idea! I love finding things at Hobby Lobby for half price. I buy my gel medium when I find a coupon for half rice off one item. I love your blog and the poppies are lovely.

Brenda said...

She is wonderful Martha. I love how you have incorporated your beautiful poppies into the picture. You are so talented.

Fannie said...

Hi, Martha! I came to your blog through Sherry's. Glad I came! Your work is delightful. Love your poppies and lettering.

Martha Lever said...

Thank you all!!!

lori vliegen said...

dittos! i love that you have put your poppies and one of your girls in the same painting!

Trish said...

LOVE HER!!

linkwithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin