Saturday, February 9, 2013

The Road to Glenville, NC


Last night I went to a very special presentation at our Cummer Gallery by local artist Jim Draper.   I really enjoyed seeing all of his huge paintings of Florida and have always wanted to meet him. I got an opportunity to pick his brain a bit about his process and he was very willing to tell me but I felt like I was on "The Bachelor" with people coming up and stealing him away from me in mid art sentence.
His paintings inspired me to pick up a brush today and paint a landscape. I don't have any wonderful FL pictures like he does (I do not like snakes, alligators or chiggers --nor do I like to sweat).  I will never be a successful plein air painter will I?  Well, not here in FL anyway. So I decided to look through my pictures from my trip to Cashiers and on up the Glenville when I went to our girls reunion last year. This view was breathtakingly beautiful and I tried to capture the beauty of these Blue Ridge mountains but that beauty is hard to capture.  My paintbrush is no match for God's paintbrush! This was just a quick photo I took as I pulled off the little mountain road. It took my breath away. This is a small 6x8.

4 comments:

Kathryn Zbrzezny said...

Oh, Martha, this is beautiful. You captured the love. I really like your sky, too...I have a thing for skies. Have a happy weekend! Love, kath

Marie aka Grams said...

I love the painting even more than the photo. You've brought it to life.

Anonymous said...

I enjοy ωhat уou guys arе up too.
Тhiѕ typе of clevеr work аnԁ reρоrting!
Keеp up the good ωoгκs guys
I've incorporated you guys to my own blogroll.
Stop by my website DiamondLinks.net

Anonymous said...

Hi Martha,
My name is Jane and I'm with Dwellable.
I was looking for blogs about Cashiers to share on our site and I came across your post...If you're open to it, shoot me an email at jane(at)dwellable(dot)com.
Hope to hear from you soon!
Jane

linkwithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin