Saturday, May 19, 2012

Painting #1

Here is my set up. I am finding that the windows are good light but I have to do some lighting from the front to combat the light from the back. But it's the only way the room will set up.
This is a 5x7 on gessoed watercolor paper. I just can't pull myself to do these paintings on a canvas yet or a panel. Too expensive. But I do have some panels coming and I am planning to cut some myself out of masonite. 




It's still wet so the glare is catching it. So this is my "unofficial plan";  If you have time to read this blog post from one of my favorite painters it's a good one and it's explains why "120 paintings".
So my "unofficial plan" (you know about those best laid plans) is to paint 120 paintings by setting up a still life or from a photo (preferably one I have taken if possible) and paint it is oils. I know I have painted many paintings but not so many from a photo or still life. I feel like I am starting over. So this is painting #1.  I say unofficial because I am not holding myself to this plan because I don't want to feel guilty if I head in another direction, which, knowing me, is highly likely! I  am good about heaping art guilt upon myself so I just don't want to quit in frustration. I will try to post everyday but surely that might not happen and in between I am sure there will be journal pages and other things to show. I will also try to show a progression if possible.  So here I go...hope you don't get bored and I will try not to whine so much like a spoiled little brat.

6 comments:

Blissful Pumpkin said...

Looks fabulous Martha. Make sure you wear a mask if you cut Masonite. I have a feeling Masonite dust is not very good for you to breath in.
Good luck.
Kyles :D

Janie Husband said...

oh, to have a plan.... good for you, martha...you have a plan and i look forward to your progression.... love the painting... ;-)

Mary said...

so good to have that plan, and so very good to be gentle with yourself if you stray a bit from it!

this is wonderful, as much as i love acrylics you get something extra with oils! you are doing great!

Charmingdesigns said...

Lovely painting...why just oil paints?? Your painting area is delightful, what I would give for good lighting!

BDL Palash said...

years ago I saw a series where
a photographer had found relatives of
people who posed for john singer sargent paintings and
he took photos of them that were reminiscent of the original pictures.
they were quite wonderful.

Pictures to paintings
photos to paintings
photo to painting
picture to painting
painting from photo

Lucy Chen said...

Love the creamy paint and the brush strokes.

linkwithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin